The Mountain Lakes Club was incorporated on March 27, 1914. The Club’s initial members gathered on July 4 for the first of many Independence Day celebrations on the lake with construction underway. The building was completed on September 1, 1914 and was featured on the cover of the town’s 1920 promotional brochure.
While wives and children were welcome to use the Club, the MLC began with only male members. The initiation fee in 1914 was $5; membership with boating privileges cost $20/yr; non-boating, junior and associate (non-resident) members paid $10/yr. One year after its founding the Club had 202 members:132 resident members, 69 associate members, and 1 junior member.
The original clubhouse building was destroyed in a fire on New Year’s Eve of 1928. The fire started in the kitchen during late afternoon preparations for the New Year’s party that evening. The clubhouse, which had been the center of Mountain Lakes’ social life, was rebuilt and reopened in 1931 and the second building still stands. From 2004 to 2006 the Club underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation which remade the upstairs dining rooms, downstairs lobby and bar and added the mission style entrance.